- Carefully Read Labels Before You Buy Read the care labels before you buy your bed linens. Find out what it is going to take to keep sheets, comforters, quilts, and pillows in top condition. You may change your mind about the beautiful sheets offered by competitors once you realized they are “dry clean only”.
- Buy an Extra Set The most wear will come to your bottom sheets and pillowcases. To try to influence more even wear, purchase an extra set.
- Change Linens Weekly In most homes, changing bed sheets weekly is your best bet to keep your bed fresh and comfortable, and to protect your linens from excessive wear. Pillowcases may need to be changed twice a week in some circumstances. Your comforter, duvet, and quilts will only need to be laundered monthly.
- Follow the Care Label Most sheets and pillowcases should be washed in cool water with less detergent than a regular load would take, unless the linens are heavily soiled. When it comes to most home washing machines are not big enough to wash full size or larger comforters. When in doubt, take your prized comforter, duvet, or quilt to the dry cleaners.
- Don't Over Dry Take out bed linens as soon as they are dry and fold right away. If the sheets are wrinkled, try throwing a wet sock or washcloth back into the dryer for 10 more minutes. It is crucial that your sheets do not suffer from repeated cycles in excessive heat!
- Rotate Linens Finally, rotate your bed linens to promote even wear. The set that comes off your bed should go back in the linen closet and a new set should go on. This will insure that your linens are evenly worn.
Subscribe to eLuxurySupply's Inspiration Blog
Get eLuxurySupply's latest bed and home inspiraton articles straight to your inbox. Enter your email address below: